Federal Direct PLUS Loan (for parents of undergraduate students)
Parents of an undergraduate student can apply for a credit-based Federal Direct PLUS Loan to assist with out-of-pocket educational expenses on behalf of the student. The parent must be a credit-worthy U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Parents are 100% responsible for this loan. This loan is non-transferable.
Parents can defer repayment if their student is enrolled at least half-time (6 hours), and for an additional 6 months after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment. If the Federal Direct PLUS Loan is denied, the student will be eligible to borrow up to an additional $4,000 for Freshmen and Sophomores or $5,000 for Juniors and Seniors of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan.
- Credit Check: Sign In at http://studentloans.gov, and choose Apply for a PLUS Loan. Fill in all requested information and this will produce an instantaneous credit decision.
- If you are an approved borrower you can proceed to complete the Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note. If you have previously borrowed for this student you do not have to complete a new MPN.
- Next complete a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request form. This form must be completed and signed (electronic signatures not accepted) and can be mailed, emailed or faxed to the Financial Aid Office. The form may be found on the Financial Aid Forms page.
- Parents must perform a credit check each year to be approved or denied. Approved parents must also provide a new Request form each year as well.
- If a parent is denied and wishes to appeal the decision or seek an endorser (cosigner) please call 1.800.577.7394 for assistance.