With Northwood University Florida now offering the first and only comprehensive, accredited, undergraduate degree program in Maritime Business & Management in the United States, marine industry enthusiasts and professionals have the opportunity to prepare themselves for a variety of career choices.
Beginning in the fall of 2015, the program will provide students the opportunity to engage in a fast-growing, global industry with multiple career tracks including:
- Port and Terminal Management
- Operations and Fleet Management
- Recreational Marine Industries Management
Students entering the program can be new to the industry or individuals wishing to transition from offshore experiences to front office management.
Graduates of the Maritime Business & Management program will be prepared to assume management positions in fields such as port operations, international shipping, cruise lines, offshore oil and gas support operations, boat and yacht building, sales and chartering, marina and boatyard management, marine tourism and marine retail operations.
Northwood University’s Maritime Business and Management program will provide students the ability to:
- Start Maritime Business & Management courses on day one
- Engage in a fast growing, global industry with multiple career tracks
- Learn from expert faculty with marine industry experience
- Engage in hands-on programs that simulate real business situations
- Build a highly-marketable resume by taking advantage of special seminars, study abroad and international exchange programs, internships, field trips, and other experiential learning opportunities
- Effectively apply management principles and practices within a variety of marine fields anywhere in the world
- Apply and integrate the management and operational components of ports, offshore shipping and transport, logistics and supply chains, fleet and personnel management, marine energy exploration and production, cruise industries and tourism, and recreational boating
- Explore new markets and business opportunities within the marine industries
- Address security and safety issues within various marine sectors
“We are excited to bring to market a program that is directly relevant to the needs of the exciting and growing maritime industry,” said Northwood Florida President, Dr. Tom Duncan. “Our educators went to industry experts to ask them what kinds of education and training they wanted to see for individuals they intend to hire in the years just ahead in the fields of port management, operations and fleet management, and in the recreational marine industries. We have built a program with the needs of the maritime industry clearly in mind,” said Duncan.
“This program is built both for experienced maritime professionals who are working in the field and who would like to transition to land-based management positions, and for traditional-aged college students who want to explore the rapidly expanding arena of maritime business,” Duncan continued. “We intend to offer classes face-to-face, online, and in blended formats and to be as flexible as possible for prospective students from all over the world who want to pursue Maritime Business & Management.”