2024 Youth Leadership Program
Important: Date Changes!
The 2024 MCYL program has been moved to April 4-5, 2024 (originally April 5-6). This change is in response to the delay of Dow High School’s RenFair, which was rescheduled from January 13 to April 6 as a result of the recent winter storms. The MCYL date change was necessary to maximize student engagement and participation across all schools for the 2024 program.
To support this change, we have also extended the application deadline to ensure additional students who are now available to attend the program’s new dates still have a chance to apply. The new application submission deadline is Sunday, January 21st, at 11:59pm.
Midland County Youth Leadership strives to engage high school youth across Midland County in leadership, team building, and community awareness to promote their personal development and encourage meaningful contributions to their community.
We offer a two-day leadership program where students will participate in a range of activities across Midland county designed to offer an opportunity to develop leadership skills, gain real-world speaking expertise, and explore their community. This program is offered to selected applicants for a tuition fee of $25. Please note that this fee is a suggested donation amount that helps us plan and execute a successful program. Applicants will select to opt-in or opt-out of making this donation when they apply, and only students who opt-in AND are accepted into the program will be contacted for payment.
What Will You Gain?
Through MCYL’s two-day program, participants will gain:
- Insight into the minds and decisions of leaders from across the community
- Understanding of their own unique leadership style
- Access to a network of organizations and individuals dedicated to improving Michigan
- Expertise in speaking and presenting in a professional context
A select group of qualified high school freshmen are chosen to participate in the Midland County Youth Leadership Program. Students are eligible to apply if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Attend a Midland City school (e.g. Dow High, Midland High)
- Attend a Midland County school (e.g. Bullock Creek, Coleman, Meridian)
- Are a resident of Midland County (includes home-schooled and virtual students, students that attend private schools, and students that live in Midland County but go to school outside of Midland County)
A diverse group of participants will be selected based on their application, letter of recommendation and a brief interview.
Current freshmen will only have one opportunity to apply to MCYL, so we encourage all eligible to apply for this exclusive program.
To apply for the Midland County Youth Leadership Program, please complete the online application form.
- Application window is now open through January 21, 2024.
- Interviews will be held on February 5th and 6th, 2024 (if you can’t attend these dates, still apply! We can work with you one-on-one to schedule a separate interview session).
- The program will be on April 4th and 5th, 2024, and takes place in venues across Midland County. Transportation between venues will be provided.