Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it expensive to study abroad?
How expensive or inexpensive a study abroad experience is depends on you. The type of program that you choose and the cost of living for programs varies a great deal. Another big factor that can affect your budget is how much independent travel you do.

Does financial aid apply?
Students participating in the Study Abroad program are eligible for Federal Financial Aid (U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen).

Are scholarships available for studying abroad?
Yes. Please check Financial Resources for more information.

Will my classes transfer back to Northwood?
Yes. You will be able to receive Northwood credits for your classes. You will need to start working with an academic advisor and the International Programs Office six months prior to the start of an exchange program or three months prior for a short-term Northwood faculty-led program to make sure everything works out smoothly.

Am I eligible to apply to study abroad?
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to study abroad:

  • Meet the required GPA of the program.
  • Complete the necessary prerequisite courses (if applicable).
  • Be in good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of application and at the start of the program.
  • Be in your sophomore year or higher or, if a transfer student, have completed at least one term at Northwood.

If I am an international student at Northwood University can I still participate in the Study Abroad program?

Do I have to speak a foreign language to study abroad?
Not necessarily. The majority of our programs courses are taught in English. There are options to learn in the native language but unless indicated, the courses for our programs are all taught in English.

How long can I study abroad?
Anywhere from a week to a year depending on the program you pick.

Where will I live?
Housing options vary depending on the program. Typically you can choose between dormitories, shared apartments or home stay with families if studying as an exchange student. Your accommodation during a faculty led trip, will vary according to the specific trip but will usually be dorms and hotels.