Military Friendly Recognition Veterans Brochure Northwood Veterans Contacts CCAF General Education Mobile (GEM)

What are people saying about Northwood University

"Initially, I wanted to get the degree because no one in my family had one. As I got going, I realized it was helping me to become a better leader."
Senior Master Sergeant Russ Childs

In reference to a military veteran student; "Mr. Johnson participated in class with unmatched perseverance and dedication, always arriving early, striving for the best in his class, and leaving a lasting impact."
Kenneth Gembel - Adjunct Faculty

"Northwood has been accommodating to my personal career… It helped me grow as a person..."
Mr. Derek Parker

"The program provides an opportunity for military service men and women to attend college on base in order for advancement and promotion among the ranks."
Diana Garcia - Fort Worth, TX Assistant Program Center Manager

"Last year I had to leave, and they let me take all my exams early. I was gone for eight months and they let me keep my scholarships."
Mr. James Leiter

We are Military Friendly

In September of 2013, Northwood University continued their recognition by Victory Media as a Military Friendly School for 2014, for the third consecutive year. In a letter from the president of Victory Media, Rich McCormack, states, "You have demonstrated an interest in recruiting military students, and I urge you to augment your already stellar efforts..." he continues, "… it ranks your school [Northwood University] in the top 15% of all colleges, universities, and trade schools nationwide."

President's Welcome

Northwood University is approved to provide training for Veterans at our residential campus, in our Distance Education Online program, for our Graduate program, and at most of our Adult Degree Program Centers. Each program has a professional Veterans Certifying Official eager to help you get started achieving your educational goal. They will give you the necessary guidance to take full advantage of your education benefit.

Recently, a new veterans' education benefit was introduced: The Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon program. I am pleased to announce Northwood is a participant in this new benefit. The Yellow Ribbon Program, which is designed to help offset the cost of tuition, is a voluntary program in which Northwood University may pay for a portion of tuition not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition rate. Your VA Certifying Official for your particular program or location will be able to assist you with any questions you may have regarding this new benefit.

I encourage you to contact your Veterans Certifying Official to help you start developing the leader in you. Thank you for serving our country; now let us serve you.

Keith A. Pretty
Northwood University President and Chief Executive Officer

Military Tuition Discount for Adult Degree Program Students

In our effort to support our military veterans and active servicemen and women, we are pleased to offer an exclusive tuition discount benefit for qualified candidates pursing their undergraduate degree from Northwood University's Adult Degree Program.

Effective Fall 2011, all qualified military personnel are be eligible for a discounted tuition rate of $300.00 per credit hour. This represents a significant discount of nearly 25%. Additional tuition discounts may apply to candidates enrolled at one of our three military base locations.

If you’re searching for military friendly colleges in Midland, Michigan, or one of our many regional education centers, feel free to contact us directly at 800.622.9000 or email us to learn more about our degrees for veterans.

Post 9/11 Bill and Yellow Ribbon Participation

Lisa HirnThe Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 is available to those who served on or after September 11, 2001.

This benefit:

  • Is based on length of service.
  • Can include tuition and fees, housing, and textbook benefits.
  • Is based on the highest in-state tuition rate so payment will vary from state to state.

In addition to the set rate tuition benefit, Northwood has elected to award Yellow Ribbon benefits to qualifying individuals who need extra assistance paying their tuition. The first 50 students at each campus who qualify for this benefit will be eligible to receive up to $3500.00 per school year, if needed, to cover tuition and fee expenses above the highest in-state tuition rate. This Yellow Ribbon Benefit will be applied directly to the student's account. For more information on the Post-9/11 benefit and eligibility, visit the GI Bill website:

How to get started...

  1. Apply to Northwood University at
  2. Submit application fee (if not applying online).
  3. Contact the campus VA Certifying Official and notify them that you have applied for admission.
  4. If you have not applied for Veterans benefits, apply using the Veterans Online Application or VONAPP at Be sure to print a copy of the application. Forward a copy of the application to the Northwood University Certifying Official for your location. (If you are already using benefits at another school, please notify the VA Certifying Official. A Change of Place Form is required). If you are not sure you qualify for education benefits, contact you regional Veterans office.
  5. Request official transcripts of all military education, along with all college transcripts. Final-official high school transcripts are required if an associate degree has not been earned at a regionally, accredited university. To be considered official, all transcripts must be sent from the prior school directly to Northwood University. Mail the transcripts to the attention of the admissions office or program center. Most military transcripts can be requested through this website:
  6. An admissions representative will contact you upon receipt of your transcripts.
  7. If you have any questions regarding the admissions process, please contact the Admission's office at your requested location.

You have submitted your admission application, what happens now?

In order to create a Veterans file, your campus certifying official will need a copy of the following documents:

  1. Application for VA education benefit or change of place form if transferring from another institution.
  2. DD214 Discharge paper, if discharged.
  3. Certificate of Eligibility (COE). You will receive a COE when the VA approves your application for benefit.

You may not have all of these documents when applying to school; however, it is important that you forward them to your certifying official as soon as you receive them for proper certification processing.

Your VA certifying official will electronically submit your enrollment verification to the VA each semester. Please remember depending on your education benefit requirements, you may be required to verify your enrollment through the VA website using the WAVE system located on the website. Any questions regarding benefit payments should be directed to the Regional Veterans Office servicing your state.

Helpful Resources for Veterans

Contact our admissions staff at Northwood University. We can answer any questions you might have about the admissions process and degrees for veterans.