Northwood Alumni: The Key to Our Long-Term Success
With the demands of our busy lives always in front of us, it's sometimes easy to overlook the importance of the past with regard to our present and future work. But our past helps to define our future, especially in the form of our alumni. Our continuing achievement is founded on their professional and personal success, particularly in their roles as models of excellence for future generations of Northwood students and alumni.
Our present day academic, student activity, and athletic programs are designed, in many cases, on our alumni's Northwood experiences. Through their efforts and contributions, they have made a positive difference in the lives of those around them in their work, community engagement, and daily living. In the same way each of us reflects the values of our respective families, our Northwood alumni (which literally means "foster sons and daughters") reveal the principles and values of their "alma mater" (or "dear mother") to the world.
With this in mind, we created the Outstanding Alumni Achievement Awards. Honoring our outstanding alumni this way not only allows us to properly recognize and thank those who have done, and continue to do, so much on our behalf, it gives us the opportunity to show our appreciation to them that each of us can emulate in our own lives.
Starting this past fall and through last week we honored our 2011-2012 Outstanding Alumni in award ceremonies on our three residential campuses. In 2012, we refined the award to more accurately designate different categories for more specific honors, which include:
- Alumni Achievement Award: Nominee must have demonstrated outstanding achievement in their chosen career and support the Northwood Idea.
- Outstanding Alumni Leadership Award: Nominee's degree must have impacted their current success in their business and community. Nominee must have demonstrated support to Northwood and the Northwood Idea.
- Young Alumni Volunteer Award: Nominee must be an active alumni participant and supporter of Northwood University.
- Alumni Service Award: Nominee must currently serve in the military or have served with honorable discharge and exemplify the Northwood University code of ethics. This award may also be given to an alumna/alumnus who has served our country by choosing a career in public service.
Northwood University's Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award recipients for the 2011-2012 academic year are:
Texas - Fall 2011
- Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award
- John Eagle, Dallas Texas (AA 1972), president and managing partner, John Eagle Dealerships
- Terry Silva, Cedar Hill, Texas (BBA 1989), director, Admissions and Enrollment Management, Northwood University
Michigan - Spring 2012
- Alumni Achievement Award: Douglas S. Pergament, South Lyon, Michigan (BBA 1992), vice president and general manager, Automotive Sirius XM Radio.
- Outstanding Alumni Leadership Award
- Gary J. Stanford, Dearborn, Michigan (BBA 1975), co-owner, Les Stanford Chevrolet Cadillac and Stanford Allen Chevrolet Cadillac.
- Paul J. Stanford, (BBA 1976), Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, president, Les Stanford Chevrolet Cadillac.
- Young Alumni Volunteer Award: Nicholas J. Busscher, Holland, Michigan (BBA 2002), owner and CEO, Experience Marketing.
- Alumni Service Award: Michael D. Cavanaugh, Sterling Heights, Michigan (BBA 2007 and MBA 2010), director of sales, Credit Acceptance Corporation.
Florida - Spring 2012
- Alumni Achievement Award: Brian Fisher, Hutchinson, Kansas (BBA 1991), vice president of operations, Kwik Shop, Incorporated, a division of the Kroger Company.
- Outstanding Alumni Leadership Award: Wilson Enriquez, West Palm Beach, Florida (BBA 2002), owner and president, Ideal Lending Solutions.
- Young Alumni Volunteer Award: Cory McJimson, Fontana, California (BBA 2007), tax compliance officer, State of California and Head Junior Varsity Basketball Coach, Upland High School, Upland, California.
- Alumni Service Award: Louis Carducci, Jr. (BBA 1997), Deputy Chief, Counter Terrorism Response Roving Team, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, JFK International Airport, New York.
Please join me in congratulating all our 2011-2012 Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award honorees. We are honored to call them alumni of Northwood University.
Have a great weekend.
Keith A. Pretty, J.D.
President and CEO
4000 Whiting Drive
Midland, MI 48640