The Accounting major prepares students for the field of accounting and prepares students to sit for the CPA examination in most states, and to begin a career in public or corporate accounting.
Successful Business Career
An understanding of accounting is central to managing any financial related enterprise, and those who aspire to a successful business career must be well-grounded in accounting principles. Accounting is a worthwhile and challenging area of study for students who are concerned with managerial decision making. Accounting is so much more than the mechanical manipulation of financial data to produce balance sheets and profit and loss statements.
Northwood Accounting students get a head start over students at most other colleges and universities because Northwood students begin Accounting courses during the first semester of study. Another major advantage of Northwood's Accounting program is the integration of management courses in the overall accountancy curriculum. The combination of the Accounting and Management curriculums are so closely integrated that the course of study culminates in a Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
We have an Advisory Committee that supports and advises the Accounting Program at Northwood The Accounting Advisory Committee consist of people from various accounting firms and corporations The Committee consists of:
- the Corporate Controller for the Dow Chemical Company
- a Partner from Deloitte
- a Senior Manager from PwC
- a Partner from Yeo & Yeo
- a partner from Plante Moran
- an Executive Vice President from Chemical Financial Corporation
- the Finance Director for GM Power Train
- the Managing Principal from the Rehmann Group
- a Partner from Andrews Hooper and Pavlik, P.L.C.
- the Midland County Finance Director
- the recently retired Global Director, Enterprise Risk Management and Compliance Auditing for the Dow Corning Corporation
- a Delta College Professor
- 7 current Northwood students.
Our students are competitive in the job market. The top seniors in the Accounting program that are staying in Michigan, have accepted positions at Dow Chemical, Deloitte, PwC, Yeo & Yeo, Plante Moran, Andrew, Hooper and Pavliik, the Rehmann Group, KPMG to name a few.
This program is also offered in an accelerated format for those who qualify.
Professor Barbara Sumi
Office: GSAB 133