Thank you for your interest in Northwood University's Intensive English Program (IEP).
Our program offers English language instruction for international students who require extra studies in to prepare them for undergraduate or graduate coursework.
Students who do not have the required TOEFL or IELTS score, may apply for and receive Conditional Admission to Northwood University.
About Northwood's IEP Program
- You may study in the Intensive English Program on the Michigan or Florida campus.
- Our Michigan campus is located in Midland – home of the Dow Chemical and Dow Corning companies.
- Our Florida campus is located in sunny West Palm Beach.
- IEP classes are offered year-round with condensed courses available in the summer.
- The program has five levels:
- All students take a placement test during Orientation and will be placed into the appropriate level.
- Full-time study is 20 hours/week during fall and spring semesters, and 30 hours/week during intensive 7-week summer sessions.
- The IEP classes will help you make a successful transition and prepare you for university classes with a program that emphasizes critical thinking and cultural knowledge.
- No TOEFL or IELTS score is required for undergraduate students who complete the Advanced level of the IEP.
- The TOEFL test is offered at the end of each semester.
- Northwood University's IEP offers small class sizes and experienced faculty.
For each of the five proficiency levels, students will receive intensive instruction in speaking/listening, reading, writing, and grammar. In addition, students will study TOEFL Preparation during the intensive summer sessions. Students will also have language lab each week for assistance with their homework and online language instruction.
Outside the Classroom
Northwood University has outstanding sports teams, and Northwood students are encouraged to attend games. In addition, there are numerous clubs and organizations, including the International Business Association, which all international students are welcome to join. The annual International Auto Show and annual Style Show provide hands-on experiences for Northwood University's students, and the numerous musical performances, art exhibitions, speakers' series, and other cultural events keep Northwood University's students entertained.
In addition, the Intensive English Program provides outings to local destinations, as well as opportunities for Service Learning projects.
Dates and Costs
|Summer I (May 12 - June 27, 2014)|
Summer II (July 7 - August 22)
7 weeks - 30 contact hours/week
|Medical Insurance||$96/month for new students until August 1|
|Meals||Please contact the IEP|
Cost above are per 7-week session. Costs may change without notice. Please contact the Intensive English Program (IEP) for current information
|Fall 2014 (August 25 - December 14, 2014)|
Spring 2015 (January 12 - May 10, 2015)
15 weeks - 20 contact hours/week
|Medical Insurance||$1149 (August 1 - July 31)|
|Parking Permit||$25 (for students with cars)|
|Housing||Please contact Housing Office|
|Meals||Please contact Housing Office|
Costs above are per semester. Costs may change without notice. Please contact the Intensive English Program (IEP) for current information
Please contact Diana Vreeland, Director of Intensive English Programs, for more information at email@example.com.