Offered in Midland, Michigan
From Hollywood to health care, sports teams to space launches, monster trucks to financial moguls, This industry is one exciting career choice!
When you were a kid, and dreamed of what you would be when you grew up, chances are "an insurance risk management professional" wasn't on your radar. In fact, until the duck, gecko, and perky sales agent came along, your perception of the insurance industry may have involved words like "boring," "old-fashioned," and "pushy."
My, How Times Have Changed...
Today, the face of insurance risk management professionals looks just like you—energetic, bright, innovative, and savvy—astute to the vast opportunities afforded by technology, economics, and globalization. From the person on Main Street, to the businesses on Wall Street, and in corporations around the world, insurance risk management professionals are redefining the old perception of the industry. It’s diverse, dynamic, and exciting. Believe it or not, over 75% of career opportunities are non-sales related. It’s for entrepreneurs, marketing directors, IT specialists, operations managers, agents, analysts, finance experts, lawyers, and more. So consider the insurance risk management profession and step into an exciting, new world of opportunity.
A Degree that Works
At Northwood University, career placement is a top priority. In fact, our program is a direct result of strategic collaboration with those in the insurance industry who confirm there are more jobs available than graduates to fill them. There is a talent shortage.
"Now is the time to get going on this talent gap - and we are."
President and CEO
American Institute for CPCU and the Insurance Institute of America
Graduates of the Insurance Risk Management program will find a variety of career opportunities available within business communities, the government, and the private sector. Positions include but are not limited to:
Actuarial (requires exams)
Loss Control Specialist
- Principles of Insurance
- Principles of Personal Insurance
- Principles of Selling
- Principles of Commercial Insurance
- Claims and Underwriting
- Agency Operations
- Actuarial Science
- State Insurance Code
- Corporate Investment Decisions
- Insurance Proposal and Negotiations
Education in Action
Our students network with industry representatives through internships and real-world experience, and they are prepared to work in an array of promising—and lucrative—positions. Students with good quantitative and communication skills will thrive in this program.
- Start classes in the IRM program on day one.
- Learn from experienced professionals from the industry.
- Gain a jumpstart toward earning professional designations in the insurance risk management industry.
- Study the most current tools, technologies, and practices utilized in the industry.
- An active and involved advisory board offers professional mentoring to students and curriculum input to administrators, ensuring graduates are prepared for the needs of today’s employers.
- Field experience offers direct exposure to diverse career options and resume-building activities.