Northwood places high importance on obtaining feedback from students and responding to areas of concern in a timely manner. Complaints are addressed informally and formally.   Each campus /program area has a process for collecting, analyzing and addressing formal student complaints.  Formal complaints must be in writing.  Northwood logs complaints and ensures timely tracking of response(s) and outcomes for each.  The university regularly reviews complaints to determine potential systemic issues/themes and identify opportunities for improvement.   Northwood communicates the process through a variety of means including student orientation and Student Handbooks.  Students with a formal complaint or wishing to learn more about the complaint process should contact the respective Campus President at the Residential Campuses or the respective Deans of the DeVos Graduate School of Management, Adult Degree Program, or International Programs.

Recent amendments to the Higher Education Act of 1965 include changes in regulations for State Authorization that may impact online, distance, and correspondence education providers.  In compliance with the language passed in the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) determined that institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

Students are encouraged to utilize the institution’s internal complaint procedures prior to filing a complaint with the state agency or agencies.  The regulations require states to provide the opportunity for students to lodge the following types of complaints:

  • Allegations of state consumer protection violations, including, but not limited to fraud and false advertising.
  • Allegations that state laws or rules addressing the licensure of postsecondary institutions have been violated.
  • Allegations regarding the quality of education or other accreditation requirements.
StateState Agency/Resources

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education


Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education


Colorado Department of Higher Education


Office of Higher Education

Delaware The Delaware Department of Education
The Delaware Department of Education will investigate complaints. Such complaints must be in writing and verified by the signature of the person making the complaint. Oral, anonymous or unsigned complaints will not be investigated. Until the web site is functional, please write or call for more information. The Delaware Department of Education; Teacher and Administrator Quality; John W. Collette Resource Center; 35 Commerce Way; Dover, DE 19904. The Delaware Department of Education phone number is 302‐857‐3388.
District of Columbia 

Office of the State of Superintendent of Education


Florida Department of Education


State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission


Hawaii Postsecondary Education


Idaho State Board of Education


Illinois Board of Higher Education


Indiana Commission for Higher Education


The Kansas Board of Regents


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education


Board of Regents State of Louisana


Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education
Complaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Education, Office of

Higher Education, 23 State House Station Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated.


Massachusetts Department of Higher Education


Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA),4601,7-154-61343_35414_60647_2739---,00.html


Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation


Missouri Department of Education


Montana University System


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education


Commission on Postsecondary Education

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education

New Jersey

State of New Jersey Office of the Secretary of Higher Education

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

New York

New York State Education Department

North Carolina

University of North Carolina General Administration

North Dakota

North Dakota University System


Ohio Higher Ed Department of Higher Education


Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education


Higher Education Coordinating Commission


Pennsylvania Department of Education

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education,FamiliesMilitary/LearningAboutCollege/ConsumerInformation.aspx

South Dakota

South Dakota Office of the Attorney General


Tennessee Board of Regents


Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board


Utah Department of Commerce


Vermont Department of Education, State Board of Education


State Council of Higher Education for Virginia


Washington Student Achievement Council

West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission


Wyoming Department of Education 

Accreditation Agency
Higher Learning Commission
A Commission of the North Central Association